• How to spot an IRS scammer

    There are many scammers who will try and impersonate the IRS to steal your money and personal information, this list will show you how to detect and avoid these scams. These types of scams are typically referred to as "phishing."

    First off, the IRS in most cases will send letters in the mail before calling you, however in some cases they will directly call you or meet you in person. 

    If an IRS representative tries to contact you in person they will always provide two pieces of official credentials: a pocket commission and a HSPD-12 card. You have a legal right to see those two credentials. The representative will also provide you with a phone number to verify their credentials with the IRS, if requested. 

    The IRS will not demand for any immediate payments to any source other than the U.S treasury, representatives asking for an immediate payment elsewhere are likely scammers.

    In the case of a criminal investigation, IRS officials may come unannounced to investigate, however they will not request money if they are actual IRS representatives.

    Lastly, scammers will try many methods to take your money. Over time new methods of scamming will likely be created, so be very cautious when dealing with personal information and finances. Many scammers will threaten their victims to try and scare them into compliance.

    If you recieve messages from the IRS feel free to contact Miami Tax Expert and we can help you verify the validity of these messages. 

    You can report phishing attacks to the IRS by contacting: phishing@irs.gov

  • How to get your ITIN number

    What is an ITIN, and what is it used for?

    An ITIN, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service(IRS). ITINs are issed by the IRS to people who require a U.S. taxpayer ID number but are inelligible to recieve a Social Security Number.

    ITINs can be issued to anyone regardless of immigration status. Individuals must have a filing requirement and file a valid tax return to receive an ITIN number.

    Who needs an ITIN?

    The IRS issues ITINs to foreign nationals and others who have tax reporting or filing needs but are not eligible for a Social Security Number. You can call Miami Tax Expert, 305-810-8509, and find out if you need an ITIN. We can also provide you with an ITIN number for free if you need one.

    How do I apply?

    The IRS provides a W-7 form which requires a valid federal income tax return to be attatched, along with proof of identity. You can contact Miami Tax Expert to recieve free assistance in filling out, and submitting an ITIN form by clicking here or download the form out here.